Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My African Promise: For Tiger



It has taken me a long time to post about much of my trip. It has been very difficult to talk about some of the things I've seen because of the weight it has left around my neck. I will continue to post about Africa, but as this is the last official post about my June trip I am ready to talk about Tiger. Tiger is an old man who lives in Keyo IDP camp. After seeing a large group of Americans in the camp, he descended upon us quite forcefully. He began to speak to us in a very angry voice. He said, "You must go back and tell America, tell Obama about my people. I am angry, very angry. Why has the world not seen the suffering of my people, we have suffered for so long!" This continued for some time and all of us watched this beautiful man as he poured his heart out to us. I had no answers for him. So, with tears streaming down my face I promised Tiger that I would tell the people. I promised that I would not forget him. I cannot and will not. I now set out on the next phase of my African journey. I'm not sure where that is leading to. In some ways I feel ready to start a non-profit focusing my energy and attention on needs I saw while there. In other ways I'm too scared to do it. I don't have a clue how to run a business! Either way, I won't forget and I will keep my promise. So, to those I actually converse with. I'm sorry for the amount of time you have to listen to me talk about Africa, but now you know why. I made a promise, one that I intend to keep. If you want to make that promise too, the door is open.

4 comments:

Bennett Family said...

YOU CAN DO IT! (and i will help you! :) )
xoxo

jena said...

Where is Tiger? Can we get his community adopted through children's hopechest? A team is going in September. Can you point us in his direction?

Love your heart to love others!!!!

Kimberley said...

Hi Suzy
My name is Kim (27 y/o) from australia. My partner, Aaron and I are leaving Australia in December to volunteer and work to help abolish modern day slavery. We have organised placements at rescue centres in India and Cambodia but I would be very interested in any information you could give us about where you volunteered/worked in Africa. In 2007 we volunteered for a few months in Malawi at an orphanage. Thanks

That Fresh Feeling said...

Hi there I would love to chat with you more... My husband and I feel called to adopy from Uganda. we are in the process of application with an agency but are unsure if we want to get this route since we would be a pilot family....I am interested in hearing all about your trip...please email me hoggle521@aol.com