Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday at Kololo Branch




When I flew to Uganda, I flew with a missionary named Alex that was returning home from his mission to Zimbabwe. He is a double orphan (has lost both parents) so he had no one to welcome him at the airport or anything. My ride was late, and he refused to leave me there until I was safe. I made the comment about him needing to go because his parents would be anxious to see him and that is when he told me his parents were both dead. I felt so honored to be with him for that hour. He told me that there was no sadness now as I was there to greet him and welcome him home. We went to church today and it just happened to be the church that Alex was speaking at. He talked about me being at the airport and what it meant to him to have someone there for him when he arrived home after two years of serving in a very difficult mission. Come to find out, after his ride arrived they could not locate where his step-brother lived (his only living relative) and he had quite the day after we departed from the airport. He did not want me to worry about him, but nevertheless, I gave him some money to get him started. I know he was short on food and he had no home or cell phone, so getting a job is going to be tough. On a sweet note, the girls on the team also worried and cared for him throughout our trip. So, on the last day of the trip they decided to take $200 from their fundraising money and leave it with Alex. They really got the sacrifice he had made in serving the Lord for two years and wanted to pay him back. Kimmy made a "care package" for him with the money tucked inside and we tried to drop it off at the mission home on the way to the airport. No one was there so we left the money with Jackie who is staying longer and she is going to get the money to him. Church was amazing and I think it really opened every one's eyes. Jordan was asked to play the keyboard and several girls bore their testimonies along with the Ugandan members. On a funny note, the branch president announced a marriage and after that he said, "Any opposed? Speak now or be quiet until the Celestial Kingdom". We all had to stifle a laugh. After church we headed to Jinja where the source of the Nile begins from Lake Victoria. More updates later.

No comments: