Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Uganda Part 1




Hey There, I made it safely. I am in Bira which is about 45 minutes outside of Kampala. I got here this morning and on my plane was the Ugandan National Soccer Team, as well as two Ugandan Elders returning from missions in Zimbabwe. Today I did something I said I would never do, that is, ride on a Boda Boda(motorcycle). They are super dangerous. I didn't have a choice as I had to change money and that is the mode of transport that David had for me. I was really scared, especially in Kampala when we were in the middle of 5 o'clock traffic. There were hundreds of cars and buses and bikes and people and we were zooming by them within inches. I won't be doing that anytime soon. On a funny note, the driver asked me out and I had to inform him that I am married. It is wierd to be back here again. It doesn't make sense unless you have experienced it, but you almost feel like a celebrity. People either stare at you like you are an alien, or children run at you, touch you and yell Mzungu (white person). You feel like you are loved for doing nothing at all. It's a great feeling. I joined some boys playing soccer today. I've never played in flip flops with a ball rolled up with plastic bags. I scored two goals, but I think they were going easy on me, you think? I met a sweet girl today whose mother died 3 days ago. Her father passed 3 months ago and so she is now double orphan. She came to live her from Kenya 2 days ago and she was shell shocked to say the least. She only speaks swahili, so she was very confused. She wouldn't speak and didn't even perk up when I took her picture and showed her. Her eyes were glazed and she looked as if she was going to cry. So sad. I will post her picture soon. I visited with a lady today who had a beautifuy baby and the minute I picked her up, she peed on me. I will post that picture too. Conditions are pretty primitive, but I can handle roaches. I've got my net all tucked in. I lifted up my mattress and there were a few bugs. All our food is cooked over charcoal (wood) and is is really good. The people are lovely as usual.

2 comments:

Ringhiser family said...

So much "action" in just the first day! I am so impressed that you are already blogging. It's great to hear the details. Your trip will continue to be amazing, I'm sure. Take Care.

Bennett Family said...

I'm dying to hear more---live this experience through you. Love you!
xoxo