Monday, March 17, 2008

The Neverending Journey

Yesterday we left Kampala and drove North to go to Parra Lodge on the Nile River. The drive realistically should take 3 1/2 hours but it took 8. We loaded up in the back of Trevor's truck, the 3 ladies squished like sardines and set out. You can't believe the roads. There were potholes the whole way, we're talking 1 foot deep and hundreds of them all over. It was like driving through a maze. We drove all over the road and then when the big buses came head on you moved out of the way. Meanwhile, people and bikes are also navigating the road. We were so worried about missing the ferry that we didn't stop once. I had not gone potty since 8 am and I finally went at 7pm. I was dying.......................We made it though and it is beautiful. Right on the Nile. Tomorrow we go to Gulu to deliver our kits. I'm so excited. Hope I don't see any rebels.

2 comments:

Adri said...

Suz - what can I say. I read about all of your experiences that you are having.....I sat and cried. I don't think we realize what it is really like over there. I am so proud of you for doing something about it. You are truly an amazing example of what one person can do.
I love you and appreciate you and our friendship. Thanks for opening my eyes. I can't wait to show my boys all these pictures (we always talk about the starving children in Africa.... and how they have nothing)...It's true!
Be safe and hug them for me!!

Linda said...

Suz, I am so overwhelmed with compassion for this sweet little boy with the ragged shirt. I so wish I could buy him some clothes. My heart is just aching. You are awesome for following your dream. I am sure that these people whose lives you have touched will always remember the beautiful lady with the loving eyes and the kind heart. Take care. Love, Linda