Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Why Uganda

Several years ago I learned about the plight of the children in Northern Uganda. War has been raging in the north for over 20 years. Until recently, children who live in villages were in danger of being kidnapped by a rebel group called the LRA. If kidnapped the children were forced to become child soldiers. Rape, torture, drugs and horrible things happened to the children. In order to stay safe thousands of children would leave their homes before nightfall and walk to towns where they would take refuge in front of police stations, hospitals and other safe buildings. They would sleep there, and in the morning walk back to their villages. They were given the name "Night Commuters" or "Night Walkers". Recently peace has come to northern Uganda. The rebels are in the final phases of signing a peace agreement with the government. Less than 2,000 children are now commuting. Now the big problem is all of the internally displaced people. Over a million are still living in these IDP camps waiting to go back home. I was captivated by Uganda primarily because of the children. How could this take place and we not know about it? Do we live our lives in a tunnell not wanting to know about things that are to painful for us? Or, does the media pick and choose what it feels is important to tell us about? If this were Turkey or Spain would we know about it? Would we act? Does Africa have so many problems that we don't even want to think about it? For me the conclusion was................now that I know, I must do something. For me, going and seeing the children myself is something I must do. I must act, because I know I must.

No comments: